Open Position: Harvest & Field Crew Member
Harvest & Field Crew Member
Our days begin with harvest; we harvest veggies, herbs, microgreens, & berries year-round on mornings Tuesdays through Fridays at the farm in Bantam, CT. After harvest is complete, we do the diverse tasks involved with commercial crop production. We are offering a position for full time and year-round work with the Harvest & Field Crew, transitioning to lighter duty in the winter months. Tuesdays through Fridays are a must, and Saturday work is available too.
Self-motivation, flexibility and a collaborative spirit are required, and team members must enjoy physical labor and be able to keep up a rigorous pace. They must also be willing to work in all weather conditions (safety permitting) while maintaining a positive attitude. Equally important are soft skills such as excellent observation skills, ability to work efficiently and safely and the ability to transition quickly to new tasks.
If you like to ask questions, love to learn on the job, and are excited to work with a dynamic team in a startup environment, then join us! Previous farming experience is preferred, but we are willing to train the right candidate.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- All aspects of commercial vegetable and herb production, including but not limited to: propagation, soil prep, seeding, planting, harvest, irrigation, cultivation, weeding, trellising, wash/pack and equipment maintenance
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions while maintaining a positive attitude
- Ability to work efficiently, independently, and cooperatively as a member of a small team
- Punctuality and reliability are essential
- Must be flexible and adaptive
- Must possess a desire for continuous personal and professional growth and development
- Ability to lift 50 lbs safely and repeatedly
- Previous hands-on work experience is helpful; some produce experience preferred, but we are open to training motivated individuals
Pay & Benefits:
Starting $16-18/hr base on merit & professional growth
Share in Farmer Gleanings (fresh produce weekly)
How To Apply:
If you think Vibrant Farm might be a good fit for you, we encourage you to apply by emailing the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we think you might be a good fit, we will contact you to set up a phone interview followed by a farm visit.
1.) Please answer the following questions:
- Tell us a little about yourself! What is your background? Interests? What are your long-term professional goals?
- Why do you think Vibrant Farm is a good fit for you?
- What is your experience with outdoor, physical labor?
- How would you describe your ideal working environment? What motivates you to work quickly and efficiently? How do you best learn new concepts and skills?
- Are you willing and able to work Saturdays?
2.) Please provide a resume.
3.) Please provide three references who could speak to your learning and working style. Farming or other physical labor-related references preferred, if applicable.