Roots & Alliums > Roots > Long Purple Turnip
- Variety: Hinona Kubu
- Boast a mild spicy and sweet flavor; a mix of turnip with a hint of radish
- Roots shine raw or roasted
- Stores very well in fridge when tops are removed
- Hinona Kabu turnips are botanically classified as Brassica rapa var. rapifera, and can also be found under the name ‘Turnip of the Sun’ or Long turnip
- The Japanese Hinona Kabu turnips are popularly used for making sakurazuke, or ‘cherry blossom’ pickle, named for the color naturally produced once they are pickled
- In Japan, Hinona Kabu turnips are known as simply Kabu, in Chinese as Wujing, or Manjing and in Cantonese as Mo ching.