In the Kitchen: 'Golden Greens'
As a vegetable farmer, I often find myself the fortune of having a lot of greens in my fridge. Whenever I'm looking for a quick hot meal that dips into the seemingly endless stash of greens, this is my go-to.
In this recipe, the slightly bitter flavor of the leafy greens is offset with the sweetness of the coconut oil and the maple syrup in the Golden Turmeric Sauce. Garlic and ginger warm up the dish and boost its nutrition and flavor, which is so much better than a plate of plain steamed greens. The Golden Turmeric Sauce is a medley of creamy, earthy, tahini with hints of lemon, the subtle bite of garlic, and the heat of ginger that will make any vegetable taste truly delightful.
1. This Golden Turmeric Sauce is great for more than just greens!
2. Definitely make some rice to go along with this dish (or a grain of your choice).
3. Top dish with your favorite seeds for an extra boost. I love to use pepitas, sunflowers, and/or hemp seeds!
Ingredients: Greens from Vibrant Farm, onion, garlic, lemon ginger, rice, olive oil, tahini, maple syrup, turmeric, salt, pepper.
The making of the turmeric sauce
Blended into its golden glory!
Get those onions translucent and those greens bright green before putting the sauce in the pan.
Mix sauce with greens and cook together until fragrant. Plate with your favorite grain.
Greens n' Garlic Saute
MAKES 3-4 servings
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 10 MINUTES
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed & pressed
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled, minced
- 1 bunch chopped Vibrant Farm Mustard Greens, Chard, Kale, Dandelion, or Collards
- 2-5oz Vibrant Farm Pea Shoots or Power Shoots
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- pinch of pepper
- In a wide saucepan, heat the oil and add onion, garlic, & ginger. Saute until fragrant.
- Mix in coarsely chopped greens so they are coated in oil, garlic, and ginger. Cover pan and cook on low for 3-4 minutes, or until the greens are bright green and tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make Golden Turmeric Sauce
- Smother greens in Golden Turmeric Sauce and cook together for 1 more minute.
- Serve over rice or quinoa to make it a meal!
- Greens be stored in fridge in an airtight container for 4 days.
~Flavor bonus~ simmer greens in organic chicken broth, bone broth, or veg broth for extra flavor!
Golden Turmeric Sauce
MAKES 3/4 CUP
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1-2 tsp turmeric
- 1 inch peeled minced ginger root
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and pressed
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- pinch pepper
- Place all ingredients in food processor or blender, or vessel for immersion blender, and blend until smooth.
- Keep in airtight container in fridge up to 5 days.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it with us on our social media
We love hearing stories from your kitchen!
Disclaimer: This is an altered recipe from Farmers Meghan's current favorite cookbook, The Living Kitchen.